Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I previously posted how I decided to buy the YSS MZ366-280TRL rear shock as an improvement over the OEM shock. I hoped that the higher quality of that shock, the adjustable rebound damping, the upside-down mounting that reduced unsprung weight, and the 2 lb reduction in weight, would make this a worthwhile improvement, at a relatively modest cost.

It worked.

I now have put on a total of about 130 kilometers on my favorite winding road, which I know well, with its significant mid-corner pavement imperfections, and the results are GREAT.

I am not at all knowledgeable or experienced on suspension, but the benefits that I have identified already include:

- The shock, as it comes from the factory, did not need any length adjustment. It comes set at 280mm eye to eye, and can be adjusted up to 5mm shorter or up to 5mm longer. I left it at 280, which I believe raised my rear a bit, but I detected no adverse effects from that.

- The shock, as it comes from the factory, did not need ANY adjustments to provide a superior experience to that of the OEM shock. Thinking that because even with my lightened R3 I am still heavier than the average R3, I might need a bit more preload than normal, and since it is far easier to increase preload BEFORE you hide the shock in the R3 chassis, I increased preload just a tiny bit. By tiny bit, I mean I tightened the preload by 720 degrees, which with the thread size involved is only a couple of millimeters of further spring compression. I figured if that proved to be too much preload, it would be easy to UNload the spring a bit even with the shock installed. As it turned out, I see no need to either decrease or increase the preload. No bottoming, and no harsh ride detected.

- The rebound camping, which is adjustable on this shock in a range of 60 clicks, was also left at the "as shipped" setting. It felt neither "loose" nor "harsh".

- The overall feeling I got with this shock immediately was it is much higher quality than the OEM - no "slop" detected in the rearend over some demanding road imperfections, no harshness, and no extra movement - each bump seemed to be handled perfectly with no extra movement beyond what was needed to handle the bump in one movement.

I'm pretty happy with the shock already, and have not even tried experimenting yet with the 60 click rebound adjustability, so it could even get better.

And as a bonus, the preload adjustment "locks" with a recessed 3mm hex head lock bolt, and the collar adjusts via a provided straight 1/4" diameter (actually 0.245") steel rod of about 6 inches length, which engages any one of several matching holes in the circumference of the collar. If that proves to be too long to get in easily to the installed shock, I get buy standard rod material and cut 2", 3", 4" and 5" pieces so I can "always" be able to adjust the preload.

Jim G

·
Registered
374 Posts
JimGnitecki;672557 ....... And as a bonus said:
I recently mounted the YSS shock on my MT-03 and it is a vast improvement over the OEM shock.

I used the short end of an allen wrench to spin the preload around. Much easier to gain access to the spring preload lock nut than the YSS provided straight rod for adjustment of preload.

For the money a great shock for multisurface riders.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently bought the YSS rear shock for my R3.

After your little review, I am sure I will get satisfied. As long as I get rid of the OEM rear shock, I will definitely be happy /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_smile.png

Bought this one: https://ebay.to/2HmeWYf
Hi, did this shock work well for you? This particular seller is the most affordable and I’ve got fears of knockoffs lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently bought the YSS rear shock for my R3.

After your little review, I am sure I will get satisfied. As long as I get rid of the OEM rear shock, I will definitely be happy :)

Bought this one: Shock YSS for Yamaha Yzfr3 R3 Yzfr25 R25 2018-2020 for sale online | eBay
Hi, did this shock work well for you? This particular seller is the most affordable and I’ve got fears of knockoffs lol.
I would love to know this fir as well.
This listing based on the picture is for MX302-280TRL-18, instead of MZ366-280TRL-18 that JimGnitecki and kiko have used. The distinctions can be found on their product code:
  • 2nd digit (X vs Z)
    • X has external reservoir on hose gas shock
    • Z has emulsion gas shock
  • 3rd, 4th, 5th digit (302 vs 366)
    • 302 has Piston 30mm & Shaft 12mm with gas shock
    • 366 has Piston 36mm & Shaft 16mm with hydraulic shock
It seems like MX302 model is actually MO302 because their product code definitions (see below) state that the 2nd digit (X) changes to (O) for their Ecoline ("economy line").

When I was researching on the compatible shocks, there were several YSS options available for R3 on YSS's webstore: YZF-R3 15 >
Since this quickly became confusing with different pricing & product codes, I referred to YSS's USA website that contained the model code definitions: How to choose the right Shock Absorber: Product Code Info: Y.S.S. USA.

Here's a quick breakdown for the ones available for R3:
  1. Ecoline (adjustable preload, length)
    1. ME302-280TL-18 (Emulsion gas shock)
    2. MC302-280TL-18 (External reservoir piggyback gas shock)
    3. MO302-280TL-18 (External reservoir on hose gas shock)
  2. Topline (adjustable preload, length, rebound)
    1. MZ366-265TRL-18 (Emulsion gas shock) (Seat height -15mm version)
    2. MZ366-280TRL-18 (Emulsion gas shock)
    3. MX366-280TRCL-18 (External reservoir on hose gas shock)
  3. Racing (adjustable preload, length, rebound, compression)
    1. MX366-280TRWL-18 (External reservoir on hose gas shock)
    2. MG366-280TRWL-18 (External reservoir on piggyback shock)
While the increasing adjustability makes sense across the tiers, it would be great if anyone can share how a larger Piston & Shaft sizes affects a bike like R3. It would also be great to know if their Topline MZ366-280TRL-18 is most ideal price/performance ratio or if their most basic Ecoline ME302-280TL-18 is plenty for street riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts