Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Their website has no details on them. I'm curious about what adjustable features they have. But I already bought the Ohlins shock. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
The black piece at the bottom end of the shock loox like a knob (like on our Ohlins).

·
Registered
230 Posts
It depends on the model but in general the YSS do not have adjustable compression damping, but do offer rebound and they will not re-spring for custom weights. Maybe the reseller will. On some they offer +/- 5mm ride height adjustment.

The Type2 per the graphic offers rebound, compression, length adjust. The cheaper one, length and rebound.

YSS has been around for a long time but unless you were a world-stage race team they didn't have "great" product. For the same money I would suggest Nitron's sport or track shock which also have feature parity. It's gotten good reviews on other bikes.

Matris' street shocks generally come with rebound, and length too. USA prices seems downright expensive. But you can import from Italian vendors for a good price even after accounting for shipping, import duties, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
YSS code breakdown

From the BikerzBits website the 2 models shown are 1) MZ366-275TRL and 2) MX366-275TRCL. From the YSS info page the code breaks down:
1) M - Rear Mono Shock, Z - Emulsion Gas Shock Absorber (E = Eco Line), 366 - Piston 36 mm & Shaft 16 mm, 275 - Length of shock, T - Thread Spring Pre-Load, R - Rebound Adjustable, L - Length Adjustable
and
2) M - Rear Mono Shock, X - External Reservoir On Hose Gas Shock Absorber (O = Eco Line), 366 - Piston 36 mm & Shaft 16 mm, 275 - Length of shock, T - Thread Spring Pre-Load, R - Rebound Adjustable, C - Compression Adjustable, L - Length Adjustable

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sent an email to the YSS-USA contact listed on the YSS page regarding the shocks mentioned in above PDF. Response time was under 12hrs. I'm a Canadian resident and there are no Canadian dealers for YSS. Here is response:
---------------------------
Thank you for your interest in the YSS products.
I have the latest 2015 catalog here from YSS but the R3 is not listed so I can only assume that5 the shock has been developed after the catalog was printed.

I can get theses shocks for you and ship to Canada, we do it all the time- via postal mail service.

The abbreviations mean the following:
T = Threaded pre-load
R = Rebound damping
W = adjustable compression damping for high and low speed
C = adjustable compression damping – low speed only
L = length adjustment of +10 mm

For the track I would recommend the MX or MG variations. If the track is very bumpy, the “EW” model is of advantage, otherwise the “C” is OK.
The “X” model has the remote = hose mounted reservoir, whereas the “G” model has the piggy back reservoir.

Our prices are:
MX- TRWL = $ 899.00
MX-TRCL = $ 659.00
MG-TRWL = $ 859.00
MZ = TRL =$ 389.00

Prices are US $
S&H – approx $ 50.00

Delivery – 3-4 weeks

When you order overseas, please keep in mind that will not provide warranty service for any product purchased this way.
Also the YSS shocks are not custom build for you weight from the factory. They are built to Yamaha factory standards = Asian rider weight.

We do have different springs available and can customize the shocks purchase from us at no extra charge.

Please call the office in NJ at 732-786-9777

Regards

Klaus Huenecke
EPM Performance Imports
Phone/ Fax: 732-786-9777
---------------------------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
Spring Rate for the YSS MX366-280TRCL 150 N/mm...854 lbf/in (Per US distributor EPM)

OEM Spring Rate 161.6 N/mm....922.74 lbf/in (Per specs in Service Manual)

So the YSS aftermarket shock is about 7% lighter than OEM.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Spring Rate for the YSS MX366-280TRCL 150 N/mm...854 lbf/in (Per US distributor EPM)

OEM Spring Rate 161.6 N/mm....922.74 lbf/in (Per specs in Service Manual)

So the YSS aftermarket shock is about 7% lighter than OEM.
Good data. I didn't get that oem rate testing the spring; closer to an average of 862 lb/in which is 7% low compared to the indicated oem rate above). My spring test gear is good within 2% accuracy (factory spec), so a bit surprising there is this big a difference. In the end, you can test to get you close but you always have to ride to verify you are not topping out.

The YSS spring rate (854 lb/in) would be okay for a light weight rider (Yamaha design weight target) if oem was 862 lb/in rate spring as you could add a slightly greater initial preload of 0.125" to the YSS shock. Without riding data to verify top end spring usage, I think you should be getting a higher rated spring if you are greater than 165-175 lbs.
(note: This would also require the YSS shock to have a 1.25" working range before getting to the rubber bumper like the oem shock)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 190lbish riding with a traxxion dynamics damper kit up front with .8 springs, paired with the MX366-275TRCL out back. Street riding and spirited commuting. I've been messing around with preload and damping quite a bit with this thing but haven't managed to make it feel "right". I have it jacked up pretty much to the max of its +10mm length in the rear, the forks and bars are in their stock position, seat +2inches, stock footpegs for now.

I'm having a really hard time getting this thing under control. Maybe I need a stiffer spring? If I set my sag at around 22mm the bike gets weird to control. I find it controls better with even more preload but now it is very harsh and reacts in a pretty shitty way to almost every imperfection on the road. There is a constant like "bounce" or "bucking" undulatation/vibration when I ride on freeways, like the suspension is just moving around too much or not moving around enough. I'm not sure really. I'm coming from a Versys which was smooth on everything but could still handle being pushed aggressively through twisties.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts