Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the key blanks for the R3 are the same as the R1 and R6? I'm attempting to get a KeyPort made (www.mykeyport.com) but they are having difficulty identifying the key (They seems unfamiliar with an R3), and want me to send the key in for 'conversion' to a keyblade... I don't want to lose one of my factory keys to this process, quite honestly.

But I guess either way I want to get some spare keys made up without going to the dealer or a locksmith and paying more than I really have to (a few minutes with a file is all it takes, generally)... So if I can just buy some R1/R6 keyblanks I'd be pretty happy...

Also, I assume these keys are not chipped... is this confirmed?

Many Thanks,

Maven

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know if the key blanks for the R3 are the same as the R1 and R6? I'm attempting to get a KeyPort made (www.mykeyport.com) but they are having difficulty identifying the key (They seems unfamiliar with an R3), and want me to send the key in for 'conversion' to a keyblade... I don't want to lose one of my factory keys to this process, quite honestly.

But I guess either way I want to get some spare keys made up without going to the dealer or a locksmith and paying more than I really have to (a few minutes with a file is all it takes, generally)... So if I can just buy some R1/R6 keyblanks I'd be pretty happy...

Many Thanks,

Maven
Your going to the wrong locksmith then, I can get copies of any kind of key made at my locksmith for just a few bucks each, not always guaranteed to work in your bike but they try different materials for me when it doesnt.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Maven, our keys aren't chipped. I "think" Yamaha 's been using the same blank for a couple decades.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was scoping out some pics of the r1 and r6 key blanks today and I think they are a bit different... Couldn't find blanks for the r25 either. I know there has to be a blank out there somewhere.... Going to order a regular yamaha blank and see how it compares.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just compared the key blank I got cut for my R1 to the R3. I believe you are right. There is a slight difference. The groove seems to be a bit different on the R3. You could always try it I suppose since they are under 10 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Your going to the wrong locksmith then, I can get copies of any kind of key made at my locksmith for just a few bucks each, not always guaranteed to work in your bike but they try different materials for me when it doesnt.
I am with you brother! My local locksmith copies keys for a few dollars and sends me outside to try them. If they work, I pay for them and leave with a smile. If they do not work, he does not charge. He has never disappointed. I always get a few extras and keep one extra for every bike in each of my riding jackets.

I use my copies for everyday riding and keep my OEM originals in a safe place so that if needed, I can make more copies from the originals instead of a copy of a copy. Extra keys are nice when selling along with the OEM. Buyers always appreciate the extras.

I have read several stories of riders losing their only key miles from home. Their loss has been my gain by insuring I always have 2 keys with me at all times, one of which is zippered into my jackets.

You just never know what might happen on a trip. Losing a key hours from home would be a PITA. A few dollars for a copy is CHEAP insurance.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Many Thanks,

Maven
Did you ever get a key blank and how? I am also in the process of getting a keyport and don't want to send in my spare for this. I went to the highest rated locksmith in town and they didn't have it, they also made some phone calls and said my only luck was to go to a dealership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you ever get a key blank and how? I am also in the process of getting a keyport and don't want to send in my spare for this. I went to the highest rated locksmith in town and they didn't have it, they also made some phone calls and said my only luck was to go to a dealership.

A few months back, I went to the dealership to get an R3 key made ... dealership sent me to a locksmith. Locksmith stated that there are NO key blanks available for the R3 ... TOO new a key pattern. He tried ALL his Yamaha and Suzuki key blanks ... NONE would fit the key lock. 2 months later, still no blanks to be had, he does NOT know WHEN he will get some. Anyone have any luck finding blanks?

·
Registered
175 Posts
A few months back, I went to the dealership to get an R3 key made ... dealership sent me to a locksmith. Locksmith stated that there are NO key blanks available for the R3 ... TOO new a key pattern. He tried ALL his Yamaha and Suzuki key blanks ... NONE would fit the key lock. 2 months later, still no blanks to be had, he does NOT know WHEN he will get some. Anyone have any luck finding blanks?

I was told by my dealer that there is a unique 4 digit code for every key.
She said if I ever needed one, they can have one made. I just have to let her know the 4 digit code. I didn't get into specifics since i was just picking up my new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was told by my dealer that there is a unique 4 digit code for every key.
She said if I ever needed one, they can have one made. I just have to let her know the 4 digit code. I didn't get into specifics since i was just picking up my new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely look into it. Thanks! Visited my dealership yesterday with the EXACT Yamaha part number for a 'blank' ignition key for the R3. (During my research I discovered that the R3 key is the SAME as the R25's which has been out for a while but NOT here in the States). My dealership told me that the 'blank' R3 key would not be available till the 28th of June. Also visited a nearby locksmith too ... told me that they would NOT make a key IF the key was purchased elsewhere. On going dilemma ... post as the key turns!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same situation as you, nobody has the blanks here either. I did end up getting the keyport and had them modify my original key. So I have one spare and one that is made to fit a keyport. http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/keyport_3.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got blanks at mountain motorsports in marietta.
They should be able to order them now at the dealer but the locksmiths do not have the after market blanks.

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
I took help from emergency locksmith near me because i lost those keys on the way to office so i can't take my bike to the dealership. So, getting help from an auto locksmith is the only option i had.
What was your outcome? Were they able to make you a key that worked properly? And at what cost?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts