Yamaha R3 Forums banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So what did you end up doing? I'd still like to know if another option aside from T-rex, Grom shock and the spring hat are options to lower the R3. Still hoping a vendor here will come up with something better.
They told me to grind. And sent me free spools. I took about 1/8" of material off the spot where it has to slip in there and I was able to get it in and installed. so far so good. She's still not quite flat foot but much better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found another link for a lowering spring cap - probably the one that Wild Hair Accessories is selling:

http://www.mizu-shop.de/en/motorbik...lowering-kits/MIZU-lowering-kit-30215007.html

25mm drop - sounds very promising. You'd need something to compress the spring to take it off the shock though. I might just ask my dealer for a quote or a couple mechanics I know.
Thanks for the links! After using my T-Rex links for several months, I'm beginning to scrape my footpegs as I become more confident on higher speed turns (maybe my springs have setteled too?). I'm thinking of raising my bike now but am worried that stock height might still be a bit tall for me. One inch may be a good compromise as opposed to 1.5".

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
Thanks for the links! After using my T-Rex links for several months, I'm beginning to scrape my footpegs as I become more confident on higher speed turns (maybe my springs have setteled too?). I'm thinking of raising my bike now but am worried that stock height might still be a bit tall for me. One inch may be a good compromise as opposed to 1.5".
If you do it, I'm sure others here would like to hear how it feels and the difficulty of the installation. I'm one of them >:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a saddlemen seat

Very excited! Just talked to a Saddleman rep and they recently released a lowered gel seat for the R3 which brings the seat height down .75 to 1" in the front! Cost $283 plus shipping.

It's not on their website yet but you can contact them by phone (800) 397-7709.

I'm hoping this will resolve the scraping issues and potential suspension issues from lowering it with the T-Rex links.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the website links for the the low cut seat:

http://www.saddlemen.com/gp-v1-solo-with-matching-pillion-cover-r-yzf-r-series-yamaha-1

There are no pictures but I imagine they look like the comparable models made for the R1/R6.

I noticed that the low, non-channeled seat lowers overall seat height by only 1/2", but the salesman said that they made the nose even narrower so actual ground reach may be subjectively shorter. Maybe talk to their reps to confirm. The sales rep I talked to also seems to have misquoted me on the price so definitely don't use me as the last word.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very excited! Just talked to a Saddleman rep and they recently released a lowered gel seat for the R3 which brings the seat height down .75 to 1" in the front! Cost $283 plus shipping.

It's not on their website yet but you can contact them by phone (800) 397-7709.

I'm hoping this will resolve the scraping issues and potential suspension issues from lowering it with the T-Rex links.
Oh nice find dayinnight! Do you think they'll release pictures of the product any time soon?
I have the website links for the the low cut seat:

http://www.saddlemen.com/gp-v1-solo-with-matching-pillion-cover-r-yzf-r-series-yamaha-1

There are no pictures but I imagine they look like the comparable models made for the R1/R6.

I noticed that the low, non-channeled seat lowers overall seat height by only 1/2", but the salesman said that they made the nose even narrower so actual ground reach may be subjectively shorter. Maybe talk to their reps to confirm. The sales rep I talked to also seems to have misquoted me on the price so definitely don't use me as the last word.
I posted pix here:
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/457-r3-parts-accessories/87610-replacement-rider-seats.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to Rito in his post there - post #15 (can't post links yet), seems like the seat doesn't lower it but actually raises it slightly. Darn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was so concerned with height when I first got the bike that I had planned to go with the T-Rex links. I think I've finally gotten use to tip toeing now so no problems!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Used the T-REX links to lower it 1.5" and now I can put down half a foot on each side. Better than tip-toeing by miles. I wish the stand would have more surface area touching the ground when being used. It doesn't seem as sturdy as OEM, but it's "good enough."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my wife an R3 but is stock and she's petite and can only tip toe on both sides and I'm looking for solutions.
Have anyone tried the racetech spring?
If so, how much was lowered?
I'm also considering the T-Rex lowering kit but, I think the ride will be affected and be stiffer and tired for my wife on long rides.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I have the rear lowering shock from J&P Cycle , brand new (never used, unblemished) if somebody would want to buy it for $60 + shipping. I purchased it a while back thinking I would lower it for my first bike but I actually didn't need it. Reply back and I'll hit you up with the details.

Pic of shock that I have:

Here is the how-to document to lower it:

YouTube reference:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I have the rear lowering shock from J&P Cycle , brand new (never used, unblemished) if somebody would want to buy it for $60 + shipping. I purchased it a while back thinking I would lower it for my first bike but I actually didn't need it. Reply back and I'll hit you up with the details.

Pic of shock that I have:

View attachment 68889

Here is the how-to document to lower it:

YouTube reference:
Hey @Jumpman if you still have that's shock let me know, I'll take I!

·
Registered
K5 GSX-R 1000 - 2015 YZF R3
12 Posts
So it looks like the shock is mounted to the swingarm without a normal linkage so it can only be lowered by installing a shorter shock. My woman still wants to buy her R3 but it's too tall for her little legs. Does anyone have any info about lowering the R3 ? Will it be possible to drop the front an inch and get a shock that's an inch shorter ? I haven't even seen it in person yet to see for myself what can be done. Help please.
I'm so glad you asked this question! I have this very problem!

201 - 217 of 217 Posts